The Ruskin collection is currently housed in the Bewdley Museum, allowing public access, and ensuring the safety of these historic documents. In order to borrow any of these books please apply to the Bewdley Museum who will be able to arrange the loan.
Use the link below to get to the Search Facility
John Ruskin (8 February 1819 – 20 January 1900) was the leading English art critic of the Victorian era, also an art patron, draughtsman, watercolourist, a prominent social thinker and philanthropist. He wrote on subjects ranging from geology to architecture, myth to ornithology, literature to education, and botany to political economy. His writing styles and literary forms were equally varied. Ruskin penned essays and treatises, poetry and lectures, travel guides and manuals, letters and even a fairy tale. The elaborate style that characterised his earliest writing on art was later superseded by a preference for plainer language designed to communicate his ideas more effectively. In all of his writing, he emphasised the connections between nature, art and society. He also made detailed sketches and paintings of rocks, plants, birds, landscapes, and architectural structures and ornamentation.Full Wikipedia Article
This collection of Ruskin's work was originally put together by Anthony Page over a period of years, and has now been passed over to The Guild of St. George.
1928 – 2011
Anthony studied architecture at the Northern Polytechnic in Highgate. As an architect he worked at Sir Basil Spence, Bonnington & Collins where he was involved, among other works, with designing the British Embassy in Rome, and the new Town Hall for the London Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.
On leaving Bonningtons in the mid 1980’s he worked for Bickerdike Allen & Partners for 7 – 8 years, giving expert architectural advice on problematic issues relating to a variety of buildings, including the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.
Anthony’s interest in John Ruskin came from his lifelong love of Italy, his interest in art and design and his background in architecture. He loved to visit places associated with Ruskin and read Ruskin’s books widely, as well as amassing a large collection of his work including many first editions.
When he retired he wished to extend his interest in Ruskin into the practical field. He became a Companion of Ruskin’s Guild of St. George in 1994 and was elected a Director. Through his architectural interests he became the Guild’s Director responsible for their properties at Westmill in Hertfordshire. He retired from this role around the age of eighty.
He also joined the Ruskin Society of which he became an active member. He helped with the arrangements for lecturers, and became a Vice-President of the Society.